Thursday, March 26, 2009

Click

Two things clicked tonight, but one was much easier than the other.

First, for the difficult thing. I am really starting to figure out a lot of this flying business, but one thing that still has me mystified is how to master the seatbelt and shoulder harness in the left seat of 40TP. Each time I get in the aircraft that bugger is twisted, hard to adjust, and just plain snarfy. Eventually I get it, of course (since per FAR 91.107, I can't take off without it, not that I would anyway). But it is a mighty struggle. I'm open to considering that it is mostly user error; the right seat harness is apparently identical, and Joel is usually buckled in and ready to go within 10 seconds. Then he just laughs as I fight it out with my side. Hopefully at some point the harness and I will just agree to disagree and come to some sort of compromise.

But now on to the good stuff. Tonight Joel didn't have to touch the controls. Once. We did seven takeoffs, seven landings, a power-off stall and a power-on stall, and I did it all.

We took off from Olympia, straight out to the north, and I used the navigation radio (VOR) to take us up to Sanderson Field in Shelton, about 20 miles northwest. It's a non-towered airport that's not too busy, and Joel wanted to get me a change of scenery plus some radio practice on an advisory frequency (that is, where pilots communicate directly without a tower.) My first two landings at Shelton were quite good, with a little "crabbing" to the left that has to be corrected with right rudder on the ground to regain the centerline. We did two more at Shelton, and they were really good...my best yet. On the go, after the second one, Joel asked me to land again, drop him off, and do the rest on my own. Gulp. Solo time.

However, I really didn't feel quite ready. I explained that I wanted another round of stall practice, since that's the skill I would absolutely need if I got in trouble in the pattern. Joel commented (positively) on my decision-making and we went to practice stalls. I did a decent job at the maneuvers--it really takes some effort to stall Tango Papa when she's light. Gave me confidence.

I flew us back to Olympia, and waited a bit too long on the descent, so that gave us a good excuse to practice slips. This is where the pilot intentionally puts the plane in uncoordinated flight, with the sole purpose of exposing as much fuselage as possible to the oncoming wind, which creates drag and slows the aircraft while it descends. It's a brilliant trick and I enjoy doing it. Magically we arrived in the pattern at the right altitude and speed, set up for a good approach.

I nailed three more landings, each one a little better. On most of tonight's landings there was barely a squeak of tires, none of the nosewheel shimmying of past lessons...it was all good. We parked, Joel did another review of my pre-solo written exam, and signed the appropriate endorsements in my logbook. We decided he'd go up with me again at my next lesson for a couple of pattern circuits, then he'd sign me off for solo. I'll be authorized to fly solo in the pattern at Olympia, at Shelton, and in between.

After the soloing formalities, we plan to do a cross-country flight up to Paine Field, in Everett, north of Seattle. I'm supposed to plan the flight before the lesson.

Next lesson is Sunday, so I should have more to report then.

No comments:

Post a Comment