Thursday, April 2, 2009

Recording the Tower

A couple of OlympiaPilot readers have asked how I recorded the tower frequency during my solo flight.

With apologies to my friend (and avid OlympiaPilot tracker) Dan, who's a real radio expert...

Last year on my birthday I received an icom R5 receiver, pretty much for the sole purpose of monitoring air traffic control at home and when I travel. It has proven to be just about the best darned toy imaginable. For me anyway.

I just plug an ordinary 1/8" stereo cable into the headphone jack of the radio, and the other end into the mic input on my computer. I use Audacity to record the sound and convert the output to mp3. Tune the radio to 124.4, press "record", and that's it!

The Radio Shack discone antenna I installed last year in the attic really helps get crystal clear reception from the tower, which is about 3 miles away. I can pick up pretty much all the traffic between Seattle and Portland. In addition to Olympia tower (after all, I have to keep up with what TP is up to when I'm not there!), I listen to the south sound unicom frequency (used by the non-towered airports) and Seattle approach quite a bit. Makes for good background noise while working.

2 comments:

  1. Scott - Did you have to play with the R5, Windows, or Audacity audio levels to do the recording?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. Used the usual volume level on the R5 (appropriate for regular listening in a quiet environment), and just used the defaults on Windows and Audacity.

    ReplyDelete