Thursday, September 2, 2010

Look Mom...

I had the honor and pleasure to take my Mom up for a flight today. She's visiting us in Olympia from my original hometown before school starts again, work travel spins up, and Deb takes on some new responsibilities at work.

It's a beautiful day here, just some high cirrus clouds and unlimited visibility. The winds did pick up while we were flying for 90 minutes...6 knots out of the north at takeoff, but 15 knots on landing, and just a bit gusty.

We took off and headed due west towards Hoquiam and the coast. I figured that as long as we were headed to the coast I may as well log a cross-country...so we did a touch-and-go landing at Ocean Shores, then headed south along the beach to Willapa Harbor, then direct back to Olympia from there.

1.6 on the Hobbs and Mom has a better sense of what flying is all about now. The air was generally smooth, until our descent into Olympia...the higher winds and some thermals tossed us around a little. I was generally happy with my flying. The landing at Ocean Shores was a little left-of-center, which on a 50 foot wide runway can be a big deal. But I kept it under control and right back on the centerline for the go.

The scenery was beautiful...flying the coastal beaches is really about the best sightseeing you can do.

I am very appreciative that my Mom was interested in flying with me, and she was a model passenger the whole way!

Flight track for Google Earth is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment