Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Instrument Practice

I've really been thinking about jumping back into instrument training.  There was a discussion on the Pacific Northwest Flying forum this week, started by my friend Ted...just the latest in several recent happenings that have me thinking seriously about it.

So...I reserved 75898 for Tuesday evening, called up my instrument-rated friend Cameron and asked if he could be safety pilot for a simulated instrument cross-country to Kelso (KKLS).  He was up for it, so we launched at 5.  I shot the RNAV GPS approach to runway 12 at Kelso, then shot the ILS 17 at Olympia.  The GPS approach was nothing to write home about...I clearly need more in-depth training on using the Garmin 430 for approaches.  But I was pretty pleased with the ILS.  It was my first time flying a procedure turn, and I don't think it turned out too bad:

Flight Track of the ILS 17, full approach from the VOR
Flight track is here.

1 comment:

  1. You OLM guys need it more. You seem to get more low ceilings than the rest of the area. Dave (Ddayle)

    ReplyDelete