Saturday, March 20, 2010

Climbing back up

So, what have I been doing for the past month? In a nutshell: convincing myself and Joel that I still know how to fly.

Happily, for the most part, I do.

I posted before about our "reorientation" flight to Hoquiam. It didn't start out as such, but that's what it wound up being.

I've had a lesson or flight almost every week since that first flight with Joel in mid-February.

First time out, after Hoquiam, was to practice pattern work and slow flight, including stalls, with Joel. Even though I learned how to stall the aircraft safely last year (and more importantly, how to avoid stalling it!) Joel and I both agreed it was crucial to experience this again before re-solo. The techniques and feelings all came back fairly quickly. I still like power off stalls (basically, simulating a stall on final approach) a lot more than power on stalls (simulating a stall on takeoff). But I can perform both within the standards of a private pilot. Check.

We also did a pattern entry at Shelton (KSHN) but didn't land due to the high volume of traffic and skydivers operating at the airport that day.

Next time out we worked on navigation, steep turns (maintaining altitude and airspeed in a 45 degree bank), and pattern work (both Chehalis (KCLS) and at KOLM). After a couple of successful landings at KOLM, Joel jumped out and told me to do three more myself. Which I did. Re-solo, check!

By the way, in the past year, a new fixed-based operator (FBO) has opened at KOLM, offering a viable alternative to Glacier. Since Joel is no longer instructing through Glacier, I decided to try the new outfit. Jorgensen Air Service is an outstanding FBO, run by enthusiastic, friendly, and helpful folks who took over the space formerly occupied by Gower Flying Service. Gower was a pillar at KOLM, but when the owner Eldon Gower passed away last year, the family decided to leave the field. Jorgensen has big shoes to fill, and so far is doing an excellent job. I have had only positive experiences with them and their aircraft.

Will post a bit later about today's solo flight...now that I'm almost caught up on the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment