Sunday, March 28, 2010

New Feature: Videos!

As mentioned earlier, I've set up in-cockpit video capture capabilities, and a YouTube channel to host the results.

This first "episode" is not terribly exciting, just verifying that internal cockpit communications (intercom) and radio traffic are audible. In flight, there will also probably be a soft murmur of engine noise as well...basically, the video will sound pretty much like what pilot and passengers hear with noise-canceling headsets on. This test was done on the ground (in the hangar, actually) with the engine off, so not entirely realistic conditions, but real enough to verify that it will work.

After doing some research online, I've settled on the following setup:


  • A patch cord from Aircraft Spruce

  • Our Sony digital camcorder

  • Our GorillaPod tripod, with the legs of the tripod firmly gripping the back of the rear seat in the aircraft



My biggest concern is that the tripod will gradually work its way loose during flight. I suppose I will learn how likely this is on a flight soon. I did my best to dislodge it by replicating the effects of various aircraft attitudes, and it was very firmly attached to the rear seat. It really didn't seem at all likely to slide off, but I'll probably try to shore it up with some kind of backup bungee or tie, so if it does slide, it won't be rolling around the back of the cabin.

I'll take a photo of the setup next time I fly.

The contrast on the video is pretty dramatic, but that's largely due to the fact that the aircraft was still in the hangar (where it was quite dark) and the sky, while cloudy, was still pretty bright. I think when sunlight streams in the windows, the inside and outside lighting will be fairly equal.

In the test video, I tune the ATIS for KOLM first, then the Unicom where I did a quick radio check. (Unicom is a general communications frequency at an airport; at Olympia, since traffic advisories are provided by the tower controllers when the tower is open, the Unicom is largely for non-ATC communication and advisories (such as requesting fuel or other services). I'm still getting used to tuning the communications radio via the GPS receiver, but it's pretty straightforward. I happened to use COM2 (the second of the two comm radios) here, since the ATIS was already tuned there.

I will have one absolute rule about the video capture: no fiddling with the video camera in flight. Whatever gets captured, gets captured. It's really not reachable from the front seat, and I'll use the camera's remote to start/stop the video, but that's about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment