Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hangar Flying Weekend

"Hangar flying" is a common term among pilots to describe a social gathering at the airport on days when the ceiling, visibility, or cashflow are inadequate for actual flight. This weekend I did a different sort of hangar flying...

On Friday morning, the weather was looking halfway decent for late afternoon, so I called up Joel and asked if he could do some dual time to get me more comfortable with 898. He said he could, and we agreed to meet at 6.

At 5, the weather was clear, with a high ceiling, but the winds were nearly 15 knots out of the southwest and the atmosphere very unstable. Not the kind of conditions that are going to help me reach a comfort level with the new aircraft. I went out to the airport anyway, taking my son Michael with me, just to take a look...and show Michael the hangar and airplane while we were at it. Somehow he thought we were going flying and was disappointed when I told him we weren't...that the weather wasn't going to work out and anyway, it would be awhile before Daddy was ready for passengers! He sat in the plane while I called Joel to cancel. As we were leaving, the Beech 1900 service that flies back and forth to Hillsboro, Oregon (KHIO) several times a day was landing on 17, so we parked 100 yards from the end of the runway and listened to the dull roar of the turboprops as it passed 200 feet overhead.

Then today, in more nasty weather, I went out to the airport with my new toy: an adapter that will allow my to patch our camcorder into the aircraft intercom system. It works great! I did a little test from the hangar that I hope to post on YouTube later. I'm looking forward to adding a video component to the olympiapilot blog!

While I was out there I snapped a picture of 898 so you can put a name with a face:



In between, I've been studying hard for my FAA knowledge test (which I'll take next weekend) and diving deep into aviation weather. Which is a good topic as I look outside at the rain, gusty winds, and waves of cumulus that have descended upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment