Saturday, March 20, 2010

Fine Day of Flying

So today was my first "total solo" flight...just me and the aircraft from start to finish. I did speak to Joel by phone this morning to review the weather and my plans, and he blessed my decision to go ahead with a simple flight today.

I was a bit concerned first thing this morning. While it was a beautiful day for flying (a bit of fog burned off by 9 am, and unlimited ceiling above it), there is a front approaching the northwest coast and it is pushing strong winds ahead of it. I consulted one of the many neat tools on the Seattle Center Weather Service Unit, which forecasts low level wind profiles (including wind shear). The tool was indicating calm winds at the surface at KOLM, but 30 knot winds at 2000 feet, at my planned flight time. Clearly, that would mean turbulence and challenges maintaining a proper traffic pattern.

I reviewed this with Joel, and he urged me to try one circuit, reminding me that I had the skills to land the plane safely. It might be bumpy, but wouldn't be unsafe. He reminded me of my new philosophy: set conservative limits, especially with respect to comfort, and stay within them. I acknowledged and decided to move forward with that plan.

I arrived at the field just before 11, did the pre-flight, and called up on the ground frequency for taxi clearance. My new headset--same model as before, but a new one since I somewhat impulsively sold the last one :)--worked great. I completed the engine runups, double checked all the checklists at the right times, and took off on runway 17. About 100 feet off the ground, the bumps started, but nothing too bad. I just rode it out. The winds did indeed get a lot stronger at pattern altitude--1000 feet off the ground--and were right out of the south, so my downwind leg went by before I knew it. I was high and fast, so just determined to extend my downwind leg a bit. I went probably half a mile further than usual, and that was almost exactly the right amount. Finished off the pattern and just about greased the landing.

Launched again, and the second circuit was a lot better. Anticipating the strong southerly wind up there, I planned ahead and was right on target at each phase. I'm also working on doing the landing checklist each time through the pattern, to help commit it to memory. Seat belts secure, Mixture rich, Carburetor heat on, Fuel selector on both tanks. I've found that the first three items share my initials--what could be easier! All I have to remember is that F...as in, do you want to FAIL the FAA checkride by forgetting the checklist??

After the third launch, I exited the pattern to the north for some steep turns practice. Above 2000 feet the air was super smooth, but I think I was getting about a 20 knot groundspeed boost from the back. I wasn't quite able to pull off 45 degrees of bank today...I stopped at 30, but I maintained altitude and airspeed pretty well. I'll hit 45 soon.

I was fairly close to Shelton (KSHN) and so decided to do some pattern circuits there. I tuned the automated weather service, and noted that the winds were at 4 knots (within my limits) but at 90 degrees to the runway. I evaluated the risks, and decided that I would go ahead, but was expecting that if I didn't like *anything* about the approach I would go around. The two landings I did there were okay, but certainly nothing to brag about. I did notice the crosswind, and did my best to handle it, but this is definitely something that will need work with Joel. And practice.

I was getting pretty tired so decided to head back to KOLM. The return flight was noticeably longer, and as I approached the Black Hills (2500 foot peaks west of Olympia) I did experience some pretty good turbulence on their lee side. It was bothersome, but not panic-inducing or enough to stress me out. The KOLM tower controller gave me a base entry to the pattern, which requires some thinking and adjusting versus a typical downwind entry. But I made the adjustment just fine. There was a bit of crosswind on runway 17, and I landed a bit too fast. Other than a little bounce it was a decent landing.

One other thing I learned today...the ability to play an iPod through my Lightspeed headset works great! I never tried this feature last year, but was determined to do so this time around. Plug it in and it just plays, and the headset shuts off the iPod sound when there is either internal intercom sound or radio traffic. This is something I will really, really enjoy.

Next flight? Uncertain. Weather this week is supposed to be crummy. Will be studying hard for the FAA private pilot knowledge test, which I hope to take around the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment