Tuesday, February 17, 2009

First steps

OK, the process has begun...in fact, wheels were in motion before I even started the blog over the weekend.

Here is what I've accomplished so far:
  1. Chose a flight school. Glacier Aviation, at the Olympia Airport. Glacier was my first choice, based on personal recommendations from pilot friends, and as much Internet research as I could do. I met with the owner, who took 90 minutes of his time to give me a personal tour of the FBO and patiently answer my long list of questions. It seems to be an outfit that has its stuff together, so to speak.
  2. Arranged for my visit with the Aviation Medical Examiner (AME). Glacier provided a list of AMEs (physicians with approval from the FAA to examine pilots) in the area; I called the one in Olympia proper and found out he does pilot exams only on Wednesday mornings, and the first two weeks were booked up. So I'm scheduled for the 25th.
  3. Applied for my student pilot certificate. This is actually a health questionnaire that is a precursor to the AME visit. The FAA maintains an online application called MedExpress that, while a bit cumbersome, allows online entry of all the information and subsequent online access by the AME. Took me about 15 minutes to answer the questions and describe the handful of routine doctor visits I've had in the past 3 years. When I visit the doctor next week, he will review the information I supplied, give me a physical, and if all goes well issue my student pilot certificate, which technically is not needed prior to training--just prior to that first solo flight (still many weeks away).
And orientation is later today...I'm sure I'll learn much more about next steps later.

No comments:

Post a Comment