Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Why?

Why am I expending effort, time, and money on becoming a pilot?

There really is no practical reason at all. I won't fly for work; even though I flew 120,000 miles on the job last year, living in the northwest precludes doing those trips in anything other than big tin under someone else's control. Because I'll be renting aircraft, I don't envision taking the family on long weekends to Bend or the Palouse (but day trips to the San Juan Islands are definitely in order!)

There really are two reasons.

The first is the challenge of being a pilot. Aviation is a nexus of several technical subjects that I enjoy: geography, weather, radio communications, technology (ok, gadgets.) It involves intense planning and consideration of alternatives, even for a short flight on a calm sunny day. It relies on the pilot's ability to understand personal and technical limitations, and to remain within them. I expect it will be intellectually stimulating and challenging, and I like that.

The second is being part of a community that is really available only to aviators. My sense is that people only get into this if they're really into it. The chance to be part of a community of pilots who really love it, either as a leisure pursuit or a career, excites me. I also believe that there is a part of the world that you can only see by being a private pilot. Part of it is the famed $100 hamburger, enjoyed in an FBO restaurant 50 miles from home, in the company of an FBO owner and other pilots who share a passion for aviation. Part of it is the unique perspective you get seeing things from the air (and there are so many things to see in this part of the world). I see all of this as a significant potential expansion of my community--the space I inhabit and the other people in it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment