Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lesson One

Arrived at Glacier yesterday for my first lesson.

It started with my instructor, Joel, and I talking for about 20 minutes--my background, his background, my interest in aviation, what kind of training program I wanted...all good stuff for a solid foundation.

We spent around 40 minutes doing the pre-flight inspection of N738ZT, the Cessna 172 that we would take on what they call an "intro flight". We followed the checklist of around 20 steps or so, all pretty straightforward, and Joel was very helpful in answering all my questions.

We climbed into the airplane and Joel asked, "So where do you want to go today?" I had assumed this first lesson would be a few circuits around the traffic pattern at KOLM and maybe some maneuvers near the airport. Joel had something more adventurous in mind. We settled on Boeing Field (KBFI), south of downtown Seattle. I had mentioned to Joel my experiences on vatsim, plus monitoring the KOLM tower frequency on my radio at home; he asked if I would feel comfortable handling the tower communications on the trip. With barely concealed excitement, I agreed. He also informed me that I would be doing almost all of the taxiing, and a fair amount of the flying too.

We did the pre-start checklist, started the engine, got the KOLM ATIS (the recorded weather and runway information) and I called up the ground controller at KOLM to get taxi clearance. My first ATC communication went just fine. With our clearance to taxi to runway 35 in hand, I began the adventure that is driving with one's feet...the rudder pedals control both steering and brakes in a somewhat counter-intuitive combination. I didn't do too bad, but it will definitely take more practice.

After about 5 minutes we were at the end of 35, I pulled over into the runup area, and we did the pre-takeoff checklist, which basically means making sure the flight controls and engine are operating properly. Called up tower, got our takeoff clearance, and Joel had me do the takeoff roll. Quite a bit easier than I thought it would be, and I'll need some practice, but all in all not too bad.

We climbed up over Olympia's west side...the weather was terrific, only high clouds and no wind. We flew over Shelton and Allyn, two towns on the west side of Puget Sound, as Joel explained the VFR transition routes into KBFI. The idea is to fly over the north end of Vashon Island, call the tower there, cross the shoreline at 1500, and enter the pattern over the Seattle Reservoir. (If you're really interested, the official word is here.) I did much of it ok on my own, then Joel entered the pattern and landed on runway 31L. We called ground off the runway and requested taxi for immediate departure to the east. Got the clearance for 31R, executed another takeoff, and soon we were headed east over Seward Park in Seattle, over Mercer Island, south of Bellevue, and around Cougar Mountain to the south.

Joel asked if I wanted to do a little tour of Mount Rainier, and I said I'd rather do a touch-and-go landing someplace to get a better idea of airport operations and some more radio practice. We decided on Auburn (S50), and as if we'd planned it state highway 18 appeared below us...we followed it nearly to the field. We did a teardrop entry into the left traffic pattern after crossing midfield, did a quick touch-and-go, and headed southwest for downtown Tacoma. We needed to transition the airspace for Tacoma Narrows airport (KTIW) so I called the tower for clearance, got it, and Joel had me practice a little VOR (radio) navigation to get back home.

It was a terrific first lesson, I really learned a lot and also built a foundation of confidence for lessons two and beyond. I picked up my books and pilot tools, and that was that.



Today's lesson is cancelled due to weather, but we're hopeful for a lesson mid-week and another next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment