Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Orientation

Well, orientation at flight school was no big deal, just some paperwork and discussion about what the training program will be like. The FAA and TSA now require flight schools to keep a copy of your passport or birth certificate; I'm glad I could find mine easily.

Glacier seems very accommodating and willing to let me set the pace of the program. My goal is to wrap up the private pilot certificate by early summer, so I can enjoy as much of the summer flying weather as I can. But by no means will I rush it! Anyway, to hit that target, I need to commit about 4 hours per week to instruction time, in 2-hour blocks. So that's the plan for now.

I was glad to re-confirm that their approach is an instructor-student ratio of 1:1, even for ground school, and that much of it will be independent study under the instructor's guidance, rather than lectures and the like.

I have my first training sessions this weekend--one on Saturday, one on Sunday--and apparently if the weather is okay it will actually involve some time in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment