Saturday, February 28, 2009

Holes in the sky

OK, I'm going to stop numbering the lessons now. I imagine it was annoying you, the reader, as much as it was annoying me.

Today's lesson was pattern work, and Joel has advised me that I've hit what they call "the plateau". I'm comfortable with most of the initial easy things, but getting to the next level will involve a period of slow progress until it "clicks". That makes sense to me, and I'm in it for the long haul.

I tried a different headset today, not because I didn't like the Lightspeed one Joel has been lending me, but because I'll need to get my own soon and I wanted to try something different. Glacier has David Clark sets, and I tried one, and it worked ok. I'll give it another try; I'd like it if a DC works since they're about half the price of the Lightspeeds.

I'm getting quite comfortable with taxiing now. The winds were out of the north today, so that meant runway 35, which is a much longer taxi from the Glacier ramp than 17. So I got some good driving practice in, and Joel says it's a good sign that my taxi speed is up. Means I'm getting more comfortable in Zulu Tango.

We did eight pattern circuits. I handled all the takeoffs. A pilot friend told me before my first lesson last week: "Right rudder, Right rudder". Today that sunk in. My takeoffs are much more coordinated now, and I can stay on the runway centerline without Joel's assistance for the full roll. After circuit #4 or so, I improved my ability to hit pattern altitude (1000' above ground level, or AGL) and basically keep speeds where they need to be. My base and final legs are still pretty weak though. I'm having a tough time establishing the right glideslope on base, and I'm also not turning base at quite the right point. Nothing disastrous, but it needs some work.

After eight circuits, I was actually really tired. It's a lot of work and focused concentration.

Frankly, I'm ready for a week away from training (necessitated by a business trip). I'll take the books along and do some reading, but I've been hitting it pretty hard for several days now and I need a break. I'll be working with another instructor next weekend (Joel will be away for a week or so), which is not all bad--I can get the benefit of a slightly different style and perspective. Joel is terrific though--I have no intention of changing long-term.

No comments:

Post a Comment